North Ayrshire Social Enterprise Surgery – Thursday 29th September 2016
All your questions about social enterprise answered and info on business support and funding.
On Tuesday 19th January 2016, TSI North Ayrshire held an Information Day at the Argyle Community Centre in Saltcoats. There were three topics covered which included Grameen in the UK by David Jardine, Pensions – Automatic Enrolment by Colin Walker from Keegan and Pennykid and Insurance – Ensuring Appropriate Cover by Ewan Drysdale also from Keegan and Pennykid.
The presentations from each of these sessions can be accessed below.
Note: all presentations are provided in Microsoft PowerPoint format.
• Grameen in the UK (< click to download)
• Pensions – Automatic Enrolment (< click to download)
• Insurance – Ensuring Appropriate Cover (< click to download)
One of the key responsibilities of the TSI is supporting and developing a strong third sector and we continually ask for and groups and organisations to inform us of any Information or Training Sessions that could be of benefit to them. This allows us to deliver the required Training to the Third Sector. If your group or organisation would like to suggest any Information or Training Sessions for the future please telephone the office on 01294 443044 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Children and Young People
- Work is currently being carried out to produce a new Children’s Service Plan. The Plan will be based on findings carried out through consultation with parents and children across North Ayrshire. Approximately 7,500 people were interviewed in order to ascertain the priorities. Although the outcome of the Plan will be that North Ayrshire is the best place for children to grow up in the focus will be on specific themes, they are:
- Tackling Obesity
- Positive Engagement with school
- Alcohol and drugs
- Mental health
The Draft Plan will be circulated to the third sector for comment. If you are not registered with the TSI please do so in order to receive this information.
- An initial meeting was held on 19th August with both third sector and independent providers of children’s services to discuss the formation of a Children’s Services Providers Forum. The meeting, held in Greenwood Resource Centre agreed that there was a need for a forum to learn from each other, to exchange views and to contribute to the Plan. A further meeting will be organised in November to take this forward. If you are interested in being part of this forum please contact email@example.com
- Third Sector providers who work with children should undertake Child Protection Training. This training is offered through the Child Protection Committee and feedback from those who have attended have said that it has proved very worthwhile and informative. The TSI send out training dates in our monthly E-bulletin, if you haven’t signed up to receive the bulletin please do so by sending a request to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Remember if you have young people who volunteer within your organisation you can register them with the TSI so they can receive a Saltire Award. If you need more information about this award please contact Jack on email@example.com. Tel: 01294 443044.
- A Social Enterprise Strategy has been produced for North Ayrshire; this has been developed in partnership with a variety of partners from both local and national agencies. The Strategy is now in draft form, once ratified by the EDRB (Economic Development Regeneration Board) it will be distributed to the third sector for comment.
- Funding has been identified to support the implementation of the Strategy however no decision has been made on how this will be spent.
- North Ayrshire Council is moving towards a Neighbourhood Approach. This has now been renamed as the Locality Approach Partnership. The idea behind this approach is to give local people more say in what happens in their local communities. Pre- engagement events have already taken place earlier in the year; the council is now ready to undertake the next stage of consultation. This will provide an opportunity to discuss the structure and framework which locality partnerships will work under. The next stage of the consultation process and workshop meetings will be held in the 6 Localities – see dates and venues below:
- Wednesday 28 October – Arran – Brodick Hall
- Wednesday 4 November – North Coast – West Kilbride Public Hall
- Thursday 12 November – Irvine – Fullarton Community Centre
- Wednesday 18 November – Three Towns – Ardrossan Civic Centre
- Monday 23 November – Kilwinning – Nethermains Community Centre
- Wednesday 2 December – Garnock Valley – Walker Hall Kilbirnie
All of the above Meetings will start at 7pm.
- Due to this development the future of the Community Engagement Reference Group is under discussion. This will be discussed more fully at the next CERG meeting.
- North Ayrshire Council has kindly offered the third sector training places on the next Consultation Institute Training Course. Details will follow shortly. Partners who wish to undertake this training need to be able to commit to 5 individual days over a 5 week period. Place will be limited and once details are known information will be available on our web site and through our e-bulletin.
- The TSI is in the process of organising a workshop on Insurance advice for third sector organisations. More information will be available on our website in the coming weeks.
- Information on the availability of a range of European funding opportunities will be available shortly on our website. Information will include funds which third sector organisations can apply for directly and opportunities to apply for funding in partnership with the local authority.
Financial Inclusion Bid
- A financial inclusion bid is in preparation for North Ayrshire Council. Monies have been guaranteed over a 2 year period from European Funding and matched with the Big Lottery. A Draft Strategy detailing a Financial Inclusion Framework has been prepared.
- The TSI will provide updates on the progression of the Bid ensuring organisations who wish to be part of the framework have the opportunity to do so.
- The TSI recently organised a Funding Fayre in the Ardrossan Civic Centre. A number of funders were on hand to give advice and information on available funding. More than 60 organisations attended the event. An evaluation report of the event is available. If you would like to view the evaluation report click here.